The Supreme Courts decision should not surprise us. We live in a fallen world that opposes God and His Word on every front. The church is and will continue to be attacked by the enemy. I just want to remind the church of a few key things.
- At the end of the day “same-sex marriage” does not exist. The supreme Court can do as they please but God, our sovereign King has the ultimate authority and supremacy over the universe and nowhere in His holy nature nor Scripture’s does He acknowledge such a union therefore it doesn’t exist. John Piper wisely states,
The point here is not only that so-called same-sex marriage shouldn’t exist, but that it doesn’t and it can’t. Those who believe that God has spoken to us truthfully in the Bible should not concede that the committed, life-long partnership and sexual relations of two men or two women is marriage. It isn’t. God has created and defined marriage. And what he has joined together in that creation and that definition, cannot be separated, and still called marriage in God’s eyes.
- No court, government, or anything in existence can redefine marriage. God created the institution of marriage and, therefore, is the sole authority as to the functionality, boundaries, and definition of the marriage union. John MacArthur stated,
“no human court has the authority to redefine marriage, and the verdict yesterday does not change the God ordained reality of marriage. God was not defeated in this ruling, and every marriage will be judged according to biblical grounds on the last day. Nothing will prevail against Him (Proverbs 21:30) and nothing will thwart the advance of His Kingdom (Dan 4:35).
- Stop putting your hope in government. The government was instituted by God to protect the righteous and punish the wicked. Our nation is led by fallen depraved men and women who lack a biblical worldview. Paul instructs us to pray for our leaders in 1 Timothy 2:1-4 “First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” When the majority of our nation has an unbiblical worldview why would you expect them to govern our nation for God’s glory? America is not a Christian nation and it never was.
- Don’t neglect the Gospel! Its easy to give into anger and hatred over the matter and to forget that the real issue is a spiritual battle in which our adversary is vehemently trying to attack the churches Gospel proclamation to those who are lost. This is bigger than so called “same-sex marriage.”
- Sinners are going to sin. Sinners are going to do what sinners do and that is to sin. It astonishes me that people are surprised by this. Scripture is clear that the unregenerate are at enmity with God. Romans 8:5-8 says,
For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit,the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
- Stand Firm. The church is about to face some interesting times going forward. Soon we will see who’s truly of the faith and who is not. We shall see who is truly ready to suffer on behalf of Christ and who will reject Him and His Word. We are to stand firm on the clear teaching of Scripture on all issues the Bible addresses without apology. We’re commanded to sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. Let us stand firm on truth and follow the example of Christ in love and uncompromising character.
- Homosexuality is not like other sins. Homosexuality is the only sin to bring God’s wrath of fire and brimstone. Homosexuality is not only a sin but in a sense it is a movement. There are sinners who commit the sin of homosexuality yet there is also the “gay agenda.” Homosexuality is also the only sin promoted as a so-called civil right. I’ve even read articles of people describing that gay is the new black.The homosexual community exalts their sin as a constitutional right that should be praised and tolerated world-wide. So be aware that homosexuality is not like other sins.
- Lastly, don’t be silent.
“It is very important for those of us who oppose the idea of same-sex “marriage” to do so not because we wish to preserve our version of the American Dream, but because we view marriage as a living, breathing picture of the relationship between Christ and his church (Eph. 5:22ff), and because we know that God has designed the family in a particular way. While the design of the family promotes human thriving (Gen 1:27-28), the testimony points people to their only hope in this life and the next. As a result, silence on this issue is not an option. Unfortunately (and quite ironically), many Christians have been bullied into silence by the mere threat of censure from the homosexual lobby. “Oppose us and you’re no better than Gov. Wallace, Hitler, and those homophobes who killed Matthew Shepard!” is their not-so-subtle refrain. Consequently, we spend so much time trying to prove we’re not hate-filled murderers that we fail to recognize that the Emperor has no clothes. There is no legal, logical, moral, biblical, or historical reason to support same-sex “marriage.” In fact, there are myriad reasons not to support it. I’ve only provided a few.” -Voddie Baucham